Friday, June 7, 2013

Health Magazines...You Tease


I like to always be prepared.  My purse is constantly filled with anything and everything I might need during the day.  Obviously I have the essentials: wallet, phone, lip gloss, fro-yo rewards punch card, but I also like to carry around other items that, in the event of an emergency, I could possibly need.  This list is a bit more extensive: headphones, Tide-to-Go, tampon, sewing kit, pen (in case the man of my dreams is technologically incompetent and asks for my number the old fashioned way), Band-Aids, tissues, deodorant, snack (in case low blood sugar bitch Hannah comes to chill), and of course, a water bottle in case wherever I am going does not have access to a sink or reliable water source…I mean, it could happen.

So when I read a magazine article promising recipes that will “instantly make you drop 5 lbs,” I want to be prepared to make these magical foods.  You can imagine my dismay when hunger strikes and I look to the ingredients section to make my meal.  I quickly learn that half of the ingredients are, not only nonexistent in my pantry, but also require multiple trips to different stores to amass, what I can only assume, foods that no normal person has stock of in their home.  I feel utterly unprepared and usually immediately make an emergency trip to receive yet another punch on my card, getting me that much closer to my free frozen yogurt.  So although this situation is bittersweet (the sweet is naturally from the globs of cookie dough in my cup), I would like to help you avoid a similar situation.  That is why I have compiled a menu of snacks and meals entirely composed of items you most likely already have in your fridge or pantry.  Eating clean foods strategically should not be a hassle.  But don’t worry, you can still get your Menchies at the end of the day.

Breakfast: Whole grain waffle topped with almond butter (can substitute for peanut butter) and fruit

Snack: Low-sugar protein bar (I like “NuGo Slim” or “Think Thin”)

Lunch: Tuna (canned), spinach, and hummus wrap (I like to use “Flatout Flatbread” but you can use any tortilla or wrap you may like) with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar…and yes, I just said, “drizzle”

Snack: Hardboiled egg

Dinner: Turkey burger (without the bun), steamed broccoli and cauliflower, brown rice, and avocado (remember, don’t go cray cray)

Dessert: My Ginger-honey Greek Yogurt


No comments:

Post a Comment