Monday, June 17, 2013

Traveling Trifecta


Like most girls, I aspire to embody the trifecta: trendsetter, go-getter, jetsetter.  Naturally, I already have the trendsetter thing down.  I opt to rock Hardtails and Uggs...most days of the week...and although this trend was widely popular circa 2004, I am definitely breaking some sort of fashion boundaries by continuing this "comfort chic" look into the future, almost a decade later.  Definitely.

Now being a go-getter requires a bit more work than yoga pants and fuzzy boots, but I'm willing to put in the effort because no one wants to be just a...fecta (the singular form of trifecta, obviously).  Although I'm sure there are multiple interpretations of how one embodies the term "go-getter," in my world, it means doing what it takes to get what you want.  For example, this past December, at an LF store warehouse sale, I found myself head first and waist deep in a large bin of shoes only to return to the surface with a pair of size 7, Jeffrey Campbell boots (you know, just in case Uggs ever go out of style).  I wanted them, I go getter-ed them, and therefore I officially attained 2/3 of the coveted package in that proud moment.

As for the jetsetter part of the equation, personally I don't care if you're flying to your grandma's house in Palm Beach or taking a casual vacay to Dubai, being a jetsetter is all about how you travel.  It is easy to get caught up in logistics of traveling or your impending destination when at the airport or even in the air, abandoning your Happy Healthy lifestyle for the comforts of convenience.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  With just a little bit of planning and conscious recognition that you can maintain your lifestyle despite what airport you are in or what's on the in-flight menu (yum!), you can stay nutritionally and physically on track.  In order to help you avoid the Cinnabon stand (I've definitely been guilty of devouring a roll...or two before a flight), here are 5 of my healthy travel tips, helping you attain the final piece of the trifecta and becoming a true jet setter.



1) Eat before you go to the airport.  I don't care if your flight is at 5 am and you're just not in a "breakfast mood" at that time, eat!  I'm sure you tell yourself you'll just get the oatmeal at Starbucks, but we both know when that maple nut scone is staring at you from the counter, you're gonna succumb to its powers.  Take that decision off the table and eat strategically beforehand.

2) Bring snacks.  Airport food is grimy and airplane food is gross.  Save yourself from noshing on a CPK mini pizza or scrumptious beef salami with cheese in-flight by packing foods beforehand to get you through the flight.  I like to bring an apple, a Greek yogurt, a protein bar, and for really long flights, an almond butter and banana on a whole wheat English muffin sandwich.  I try to keep fueling my body every few hours to rev up my metabolism while my seat partner appreciates that a) I'm not in low blood sugar bitch mode and b) I'm not stinking up the plane with my McDonalds' Egg McMuffin...it's really a win-win.

3) Pack an empty water bottle in your carry-on.  Dehydration can cause jet lag AND can often be confused with hunger...leading you to mosey on over to the Cinnabons.  Step away from the roll of dough covered with sugar and promises of an early heart attack, and fill your bottle from a water fountain as soon as you get through security.  Stay hydrated!!!

4) Don't chew gum.  If your ears hurt from the pressure, try yawning or popping them by holding your nose and then trying to blow out of it.  Flying makes you bloated and so does gum.  That's a double whammy.  Maybe grammy doesn't care that you look like a gummy bear, but my guess is that you do.  The amount of air swallowed by chewing gum alone, can make you go up an entire dress size!  Now I don't know where you're going, but you probably did not account for a size change while packing--so skip the pack of spearmint.  

5) Do small exercises on the plane.  I always feel so lazy when I'm sitting for hours on end so I try to implement little exercises throughout the flight to keep me feeling toned and on track. By sitting up in your seat and maintaining good posture, you are engaging your core and thus keeping your abs in tip-top shape.  When waiting in line for the restroom or standing in the aisle, do a few calf raises.  Everyone assumes I'm just fidgety and stretching out, but really I am ensuring that the next time I wear heels, my legs look bomb dot com.  Lastly, put your own bag in the overhead bin.  Although I love it when men are chivalrous and offer to help, I'm a strong a** bitch and love the little bicep workout.


So fly safe and healthy wherever your travels may take you, you little trifecta you.

No comments:

Post a Comment